Before this class I had never heard of I-dosing videos before. For that reason I decided it would probably be a good idea to do some research before watching a video. This is what I found out:
-I-dosing videos are effective if listened to with headphones and if video is watched on fullscreen.
-I-dosing videos are ‘digital drugs’ used to change a person's brains in the same way as real-life narcotics do.
-I-dosing is legal, but causing concerns for many adults. They worry that watching these videos means these teens are willing to experiment with drugs.
-different tracks mimic different sensations you can feel by taking drugs such as Ecstasy or smoking marijuana.
-Not everyone is taking these videos seriously; several universities have been unable to prove that these videos really can make a person feel 'high'
-I was skeptical.
After searching through a list of I-doser videos (and seeing that some of these videos were actually an hour long!) I settled on watching one called "Marijuana." I plugged in my earplugs, sat down, put the video on full screen and pressed play. Instantly my ears were filled with a scratching sound that sounded like a broken t.v. channel. The video itself was, in my opinion, a pretty stereotypical view of what movies portray being high to be like. Bright colors were spun together, creating tunnels, swirls, and dips that were somewhat entertaining to follow. I did not, however, feel 'high' during or after the video. I kind of just felt bored. In my opinion, at the very most, the people who are affected by these videos may be experiencing a placebo effect. Clearly I think more studies should definitely be taking place for this new 'internet sensation.'
No comments:
Post a Comment