Monday, February 13, 2012

Post #3: Chatroulette

For my technopanic, I chose to take a look at Chatroulette. The site has had some remodeling done since the last time I was on here (during that phase when everyone was trying it to see what it was all about), but it still largely functioned the same.

The idea behind Chatroulette still gives me the creeps. Why would I ever want to video chat with some completely random person? At this point, I feel like the website if a bunch of people sitting at their computer staring at the screen hitting "next" until their dream girl/guy appears.

After 5 or 10 minutes of use, my experience was about the same as it was before. The site is made up of people who are alone or bored, looking to goof off with some friends or someone treating the site like its pornographic.

I'm not sure if the site should really be considered a 'technopanic' because I can't see the potential harm the site can cause. If anything, I feel like it can only provide some comedy and a fantastic way to kill time.

To really get the best use out of Chatroulette, one must have the musical talent of Ben Folds.


No comments:

Post a Comment