Monday, February 13, 2012
Post #3
For this assignment, I decided to go on Chatroulette while I was I-dosing.
Both experiences were a letdown. I didn't get high or get off, which is what seems to be the goal of either site. The I-dosing site was difficult to navigate, and didn't have any videos unless you downloaded a bunch of software that the school computers blocked me from accessing, anyway. They also advertised their mobile app, so you can get high on the go, and links to legal bud, pills, and hash - God knows what the school computers will think of me now! I listened to this video http://www.sharethetruth.tv/v/1821,i-doser-ecstasy-qh.html which was just a long drone and didn't make me feel like I was on ecstasy. I didn't want to hug everyone. I really think its completely impossible for a sound wave to replicate a chemical brain reaction. I'd never heard of this site before the project, but now its clear its only hype is panicked adults trying to figure out what the kids are up to these days. It would be a great alternative to physical drugs if it worked, but it doesn't. And who's to say that internet use isn't some sort of drug or enhancer or stimulant already? Or music, movies, or any media?
The Chatroulette experience was similarly disappointing. The school computers don't even have a camera, so I wasn't able to show myself to strangers online. I did see other people and their cocks (mostly white male teenagers), but mostly they just flipped past me, browsing ahead for some T&A. I drew with a non-camera partner for a while, but even then, there was a hetero/sexual expectation and tension, relieved only by getting out of the site. No goodbyes necessary. I had only briefly heard about this site before, in an interesting video art piece where a girl goes on Chatroulette as a video-internet-space trip (screened at Starlight Cinema last semester). It's interesting to think about online performance on sites like these, but perhaps not interesting enough to go through with it.
Labels:
Blog Post #3,
chatroulette
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment