Monday, March 26, 2012

Johnson--Blog Post #5

"How do copyrights affect your experience of content online— or do they?"


I've never really noticed copyrights online. The main places I notice copyrights are on YouTube and on Google Books. I don't think copyrights are really enforced online unless the owner is adamant about making sure all their content online is managed. I've noticed this mostly on YouTube where content will be removed due to copyright violations. However, I've only noticed this for certain artists and groups. Many do not seem to care if their copyrights are infringed, whereas others seem to spend a lot of time monitoring the Internet and where and how their content is displayed. On Google Books, I've noticed items that are older and have expired copyrights are more commonly found. Otherwise a book may have a few pages available for free viewing, while the entire work may require purchase in order to be read. I think in upcoming years, copyright will become more of an issue as law catches up to the progression of the Internet, but until then, copyrighting doesn't have much or any control over content on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment