Thursday, May 3, 2012

Goodman: Practicum Post #6

The past few of my posts on Twitter have been about specific instances with the social network. But for this one, I'm going to talk about the Twitterverse (twitter universe) more generally and a take-away point that came from a revelation I had a few hours ago.

On twitter, there are no 'friends', no two-way connections are made. Twitter is made solely of one ways: people who you follow and people who follow you.

Sure, you can follow someone who is following you and vise-versa, but the program doesn't operate in a two way flow of information. Everything is one way, you either send a message to your followers, or they send one to theirs. Technically, you can engage in a conversation over Twitter; but after some use, you realize this platform isn't designed for that type of communication.

I guess my point with all of this is detail is, for me, up until a few hours ago, I realized a Twitter use should NOT CARE about how many followers they have. In the Twitterverse today, users (me being one of them) have a tendency to judge users by their follower count. But after some thought, the number of followers don't really matter.

What does matter is how you use Twitter. That is what will shape your follower count. For example, if you're a specialist in the media field and have very relevant and insightful information that multiple people are interested in, naturally, you are going to have a lot of followers based on your content. If you are a average-joe, who has some friends on Twitter and you use the program to clown around, show friends funny videos or tell people close to you what you are up to, naturally, you are going to have fewer followers.

More important than your follower count is how you engage your followers and what you choose to tweet to them. Previously, I wanted a really big big big Twitter following because I thought that would make my account look awesome and important. But after realizing how superficial that was, I've grown to be ok with my 250 or so followers. Quality over quantity everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment