Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Johnson-Practicum Post #7


Wrap-up

This is my last blog post about TasteOfHome.com, a specialized information community. I think the best way to go about this is to cover a little bit of everything.

I ended up with only four friends, but they all consistently comments on my posts, and I would comment on theirs. I feel like that’s pretty good considering I didn’t excessively request ‘friends.’



As far as the Wikipedia page I contributed to, my content is still there and it’s been a full 24 hours. I’m not sure if it’ll stay there indefinitely, but I’m sort of proud that my content has made it this long so far.  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_community)



This site wasn’t what I was expecting when I started this project.  I was expecting really technical and skill-based discourse. What I found was a tight-knit community of people with many things in common besides favorite recipes.

While examining the site, I really noticed how dedicated members are to their forums or groups of interest. I definitely joined appropriate forums because the advice I have received is great. It’s almost like having a community of moms and grandmas to give me advice and encouragement.

I don’t know if I’ll keep using the site after this project, but it is a good resource for baking, cooking, and even a place to exchange ideas. I’m glad we had this practicum project otherwise I doubt I would have broken out of my comfort zone to try different websites.


No comments:

Post a Comment