I did attempt to submit a piece of information to Wikipedia regarding reddit. I chose reddit specifically because the Digg Wikipedia page was extremely full of statistics and had a wealth of information on it that it was hard for me to come up with something original. With the reddit page, it was informative, but there is much more room to add information. I chose to submit an entry regarding reddit as a participatory culture. I quoted Henry Jenkins in my submission and related it to how reddit is founded on the same principles as Jenkins describes in his article. I incorporated how the specific function AskReddit is the epitome of a participatory culture and how reddit embodies the characteristics of this phenomenon by allowing users to contribute information in response to a reddit user. Below is my submission, it is the last paragraph on the bottom:

While this is certainly not vital, life-changing information, I think it is relevant and puts reddit into perspective in the larger scheme of things, which my personal intention with the Wikipedia post. Hopefully I will see it officially posted one day, but until then, I feel much more informed about the 2 social news sites I have researched over the semester. I still feel the same about both reddit and Digg. To put it simply, when I need a laugh, entertainment, or a distraction, I go to reddit (and you should too). But when I want to be informed, aware and up-to-date with current events or pop culture information, I choose Digg. Both websites provide a wealth of information in very different ways, and I am extremely happy I have been exposed to them and can incorporate them into my day-to-day life thanks to this class.
Until next time
No comments:
Post a Comment