For this last practicum post, I decided to utilize both media-based social networking sites I've been covering this semester - YouTube and Last.fm - and demonstrate how both can work in conjunction. After seeing a really cool Bruce Springsteen live performance of "Rosalita," one of the hits from his second album, where it appeared he played in some random person's backyard, I decided that I would share it with the Bruce Springsteen fan group on Last.Fm.
In a sense, I think this action demonstrates how I will ultimately interact with each website going forward. I don't see YouTube as a great place for social networking over a shared interest in music, but I do see it as a great place for sharing what seems like limitless content. However, as far as interacting with like-minded individuals is concerned, I think that simply happens much easier on Last.fm. Unlike YouTube, which features many more users who aren't necessarily there just to listen to music, Last.fm's users are explicitly on the website to personalize their listening experience and interact with others who are there to do the same. Thus, even though the activity is more dormant on Last.fm, I feel a stronger connection to that community just because the passion for music seems much stronger all around than it is on YouTube.
No comments:
Post a Comment