Getting Started
For my practicum assignment (B2. Specialized Information Sites) I decided to join a cooking forum. I already really enjoy cooking and baking, so I thought this would be a great opportunity to learn more and broaden my exposure to the cooking world. I searched on the Internet for a while to find a forum that seemed to be truly multi-faceted and offered various resources.
For my practicum assignment (B2. Specialized Information Sites) I decided to join a cooking forum. I already really enjoy cooking and baking, so I thought this would be a great opportunity to learn more and broaden my exposure to the cooking world. I searched on the Internet for a while to find a forum that seemed to be truly multi-faceted and offered various resources.
TasteOfHome.com
offered forums, groups, recipes, video tutorials and an extensive profile page.
At first I didn’t realize how in-depth the website went into building a sense
of community, but after a few visits, I really understood that this site is
about more than just cooking, it’s about sharing life experiences with others.
Some
people use real names, others use screen names such as “tastycook1.” I didn’t
look at that before I joined, so I ended up using my real name in my screen
name. The posts people leave usually have a sign-off of a ‘signature.’ Many are
cooking or inspirational quotes, some are seasonal, and some are words of
wisdom.
I
think this will be a great forum to learn from, but I think the majority of the
users are older women, (many profiles boast about being grandmothers), and
inviting friends will probably be awkward. I’m looking forward to completing my
profile and hopefully making some ‘friends.’

No comments:
Post a Comment