Monday, April 16, 2012

Celeste Robert - Blog post #5 - Copyright

When I was younger I used Kazaa to download music, but eventually I heard too many stories about lawsuits and I stopped. I get music from friends, and Spotify has changed my life now that they've finally allowed it in the USA (interesting...) or I'll look for songs on YouTube and Vevo, but I rarely download anything anymore. As such, I haven't had a huge interaction with copyright laws, except for meeting Jane Ginsburg, who is a Professor of Literary and Artistic Property Law at the Columbia Law School and specializes in copyright. This interaction was actually scary because I'm all for "copyleft" and "free media" and I honestly think it would be awesome to not put property values on anything - perhaps this is very socialist of me. I'm very "anti-copyright." And of course Ginsburg, who is Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's daughter, is a very powerful person who would totally disagree with me.

I really don't understand why people take music off YouTube - the way I see it, the more Justin Bieber videos are watched, the more advertising you get off the JBiebs brand. Why remove it? How are you going to make people pay to watch a Bieber video? At least Vevo is free for now, perhaps this will change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment