Hey everyone,
So for my presentation today I will be talking about Social News sites such as reddit and Digg. They're essentially the news feeds of the Internet, so I have the following questions:
1) After learning about these sites, do you feel they can be credible sources of information? Or do you think they can never replace regular news sites?
2) How do you think the aesthetics play a role in these websites?
3) Chicken or the egg: Do you think these sites make something viral by nature, or is something viral and it ends up on these websites? In other words, how do these websites fit into viral sensations in your opinion? Do you find information out through websites or people?
Can't wait to hear what you have to say!
Til later
I think these sites are very credible, but it is important for users to have other sources of news as well, because of the nature of reddit. Since it is short and to the point, more detailed reports might be valuable from other sites. I do not think they can REPLACE news sites, but definitely can be used as supplements or quick views for news. Aesthetics play a role in it, I believe, because it aids the quick and easy access to stories. One can just scroll down the page on reddit and click on what they please, a user is not forced to go through or look at stories they are not interested in. I think sites like this absolutely play a role in making something viral, however more so as a means of furthering the views and distribution of content, not so much as creating it.
ReplyDeleteI think that these sites are a good alternative to mainstream news. I think that we've all learned through a lot of communication arts classes that news stations have their own agenda and stuff. For example, I saw a statistics that said that most college students get their news from other media like the Daily Show or even from YouTubers (or citizen journalists). I think that these sites like reddit is good because its short and easy to look through, but at the same time it should never replace the mainstread news sites. I think its good to get multiple news sources so you have a second opinion kind of thing.
ReplyDeleteAs for the chicken or the egg question, for me personally, I always saw videos and stuff after, or during, it went viral, never before. And, often I would be like - why?