Sunday, April 8, 2012

Practicum #2-Wanland

On the social network site for seniors (Senior Chatters), I have surfed the site, have accepted friend requests, and have been reading blog posts daily.  I do have to admit that reading the blog posts submitted from other members on the site is one of my favorite things to do.  One reason for this is because many of the seniors use the blog to write stories about growing up and growing old.  Seniors will joke about their age by posting poems they found on the internet or poems they have written themselves.  Every blog post is very interesting and in particular, I have found that seniors view life in a completely different way than how college students do.  For example, from a college student's perspective I feel like life is about finding a career, having fun, staying out late, studying, etc.  In contrast, a senior's perspective towards life is to enjoy the little moments, spend time with family as much as possible, laugh about growing older, and to hope for good health.

Below is an example of a blog post written by a senior on the site:
  I was recently told that I am cured of cancer. To be told you have cancer is a life changing event. To be told you are cured is to be given a second bash at life. I admit to still feeling huge conflicts. I worry it will return which is completely normal. I am so grateful it is gone but I can never just pick up from where I was in my life before I had cancer. I admit to feeling a little lost. I also feel I want to try new things and to have new experiences yet, I do not really know where to start.


For my practicum presentation tomorrow, one question I am going to propose to the class is:
There is still a substantial digital divide among seniors based on income, age, gender, and education.  What other steps can be taken to help more seniors take advantage of the tools and information the internet has to offer? 


No comments:

Post a Comment