Sunday, April 29, 2012

Wolf - Blog Post #7

Prior to completing this assignment, I had been aware that my computer typically functions as an extension of myself, as I rarely go an hour without using it. Here's an outline of the extent of my computer usage on Saturday evening:

5:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m. After working out at the SERF, I took some time to relax. Naturally, my first instinct was to grab my laptop and go online. For about two hours, I scourged the internet, using it mostly for entertainment purposes. I first scanned through Facebook and Twitter for about 20 minutes, and then looked at box scores and articles from the day's baseball and NBA playoff games at Yahoo! Sports to catch up on what I missed and see how certain players performed that day. Next, I visited Deadspin.com, a sports/humor website that critiques figures in sports media. I skimmed through the articles posted on the site that day for about 30 to 40 minutes. Finally, for the next hour, I had an urge to look through performances from old Tom Petty concerts. I listened to and watch these performances on YouTube.

7:00-9:00 p.m. Having gotten my Tom Petty fix, I decided to watch the film "Moneyball," which I had just rented from College Library. I inserted the disk into my laptop and watched the film on my computer screen.

I had known my computer usage was very extensive, but seeing it quantified like that makes it ever more apparent how pervasive the computer is in my life. I can only imagine that the internet would be an even bigger part of my life if my cell phone had internet capabilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment