This evening, I did not use a surprising amount of computerized things: just my iPhone, MacBook, CD player (what a relic, I know), clothes dryer, digital camera, and car dashboard/radio. I went to Four Star Video Heaven and the clerk had to use his computer to check out a DVD for me. If you count this morning at work, I used the computer system to clock in and out, and the system that prints food order tickets to the kitchen.
This is not the most I've used in one day, to be sure. The only one that surprised me was the clothes dryer. A better example would be to list all the computerized equipment I used on a movie set this weekend for CA 467, namely, the DSLR camera. But the list would never end. There's also so many things in my kitchen (microwave, rice cooker, food thermometer) that would have ended up on the list if I'd cooked.
So I'll reflect on how pervasive computerized things are in general. It's crazy to think how many things we're dependent on that are computerized, that could fall in a minute, or be taken under control by some dictator-like corporation, that would leave us lost and helpless if they were taken away. Simple things, like making rice. Could I feed myself if all electronics stopped working? How long would it take to figure out how to have relationships without a computer or a phone? And how many more simple things will be computerized in the future, things that we can't imagine computerized today?
Oh, and I suppose traffic lights and street lamps are on a computerized system. So I used those tonight too.
ReplyDelete