Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Kim: Practicum Post #6


One feature of Foursquare is "radar" and "pings."  I explained them in my presentation, but I found another feature that "automatically" checked into places for me.  While checking in is kind of annoying sometimes in places that have shady wireless or 3G connections (and takes a while to load), I found this feature may be good for me.  I was already checking into everywhere I go, and I didn't mind.  But, I ended up taking out the feature because it didn't really automatically check in every spot, and even if it did, I felt that it was too much sharing.  It also didn't help that I learned that I did not check into every single place in the first place (although it may seem obvious, it was kind of a realization for me) and that I felt enjoyment of physically checking in myslef, looking at points I got and any tips.

After I recieved the "Overshare" badge, I especially looked at a lot of my friends that were at the top of the leaderboard.  They checked-in everywhere.  It was up to the point where I had to take off the notifications option because my phone would buzz constantly.  This made me wonder - are people sharing too much?

And, this was problematic because although Foursquare, like Facebook, is a network-based, other people looking at the venue (total strangers) can actually view where you are.  Also, I found it somewhat freaky that if you press the map, they map out where all of your friends are!

Although it did come in handy of avoiding people who overshare, I think that Foursquare, like Facebook, is a little fishy on privacy settings.

No comments:

Post a Comment