For my Wikipedia edit, I went to the Activism 2.0 page. This page details online activism, but it's a pretty roughly made page that is poorly written, rarely contributed to, and full of biased language. It could use a complete restructuring, but I focused on a paragraph written about Avaaz.org under the slacktavism section. While I agree that Avaaz could be categorized as a haven for slactivists with a small minority of the users doing most of the work, the paragraph written about them was poorly worded, used pretty irrelevant examples, and had quite a bit of subjective language. I removed as much bias as I could from the paragraph to try and paint a more accurate picture of the site, and tried to balance it out with a couple cited examples from their website. The original is the first screenshot and the edit is the second.
Wednesday, May 9, 2012
Practicum #7
For my Wikipedia edit, I went to the Activism 2.0 page. This page details online activism, but it's a pretty roughly made page that is poorly written, rarely contributed to, and full of biased language. It could use a complete restructuring, but I focused on a paragraph written about Avaaz.org under the slacktavism section. While I agree that Avaaz could be categorized as a haven for slactivists with a small minority of the users doing most of the work, the paragraph written about them was poorly worded, used pretty irrelevant examples, and had quite a bit of subjective language. I removed as much bias as I could from the paragraph to try and paint a more accurate picture of the site, and tried to balance it out with a couple cited examples from their website. The original is the first screenshot and the edit is the second.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment