Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Robert - Practicum Post #4

In my Editing and Post-Production class, and in my Cinematography and Sound Recording class, the past two weeks we've been talking about the importance of making reels. Reels are basically a resume for people in production. It is a DVD with all of your best video projects that you can send out to employers or internships to show off your skills. Almost more important than a DVD version of a reel, though, is having a website. There is a bit of a digital divide here between those filmmakers who have the money, time, and knowledge to build a website, and people like me, who are just not into HTML or Java. I could never make a website. Even on a local production I'm working on next weekend, the director asked me for my website so she could show the rest of the crew. I was embarrassed that I didn't have one.Enter Vimeo. Here Vimeo serves as a second best choice for a videographer's website. It's set up and ready to use, and you can send the link out to employers or heck, friends, easily. It won't make you look as professional as a website, but it's close enough.
So I planned to use my Vimeo page as a portfolio. My final edits for my semester projects aren't finished yet, though, since they're not due until next week. So I haven't posted them yet. These three are what I have so far:


However, I'm planning on making heavy use of this account when those projects are up. I'll be using the URL in my resumes and emailing it out to employers, and plastering it all over Facebook to show my friends who were part of the videos.
Maybe when I'm for real I'll build a website, but even websites use embedded video from Vimeo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment