Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Kim: Practicum Post #7 Wiki

I edited the portion on mayorships because that was the most frustrating part for me.   It currently says:

If a user has checked-in to a venue on more days (meaning only one check-in per day qualifies for calculating mayorship) than anyone else in the past 60 days, the check-ins are valid under foursquare's time and distance protocols. You must have a profile picture in order to be crowned "Mayor" of that venue. Someone else may earn the title by checking in more times than the previous mayor.


I found that this was a little incorrect because not only one check-in per day counts.  This means that if I've checked in constantly for 60 days (so 60 check-ins in two months), it means that I would be mayors - but I failed miserably in places like Grainger and Vilas Hall.

So, I'm scared that it will be changed instantly, but I've changed it to:


If a user has checked-in to a venue on more days than anyone else in the past 60 days, and the check-ins are valid under foursquare's time and distance protocols, they will be crowned mayor.  You must have a profile picture in order to be crowned "Mayor" of that venue.  Someone else may earn the title by checking in more times than the previous mayor.  It is harder to be crowned mayor in spaces that are swarming.  Even after you've been crowned "Mayor," you must continuously check in to maintain your position as mayor.


I looked through the wiki and everything was pretty simple, as simple as Foursquare is, but I found that mayorships were tricky.  Hope they don't take it down!

No comments:

Post a Comment