Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Morris: Practicum #7

With the completion of the Practicum paper I was able to reflect on how my usage of Tumblr related to this course in it's entirety. I was able to draw several conclusions relating it to the course. What stood out to me most was how Tumblr is an ideal example of a participatory culture. Tumblr is a site which allows so many different options to it's users, including the option to not even be a member, which is a common decision amongst people I know. I can see Tumblr use growing when people graduate and perhaps are looking for a hobby, as the basis of this site is a blog, which is more time consuming than many other social networking sites.

In looking forward, I know I will still use Tumblr on occasion. However my usage will be more limited than during my Practicum experience. I will probably never use the chat feature again (especially since I received no feedback). If I were to want an answer to a similar question in the future (I asked my followers to recommend an art gallery in the Madison area) I know I have various other sites that would be more appropriate such as yelp or foursquare. I will use Tumblr if I feel I have something more than a few words to say on a topic. With the invention of Pinterest now Im sure I will resort to using this site more, since the main reasons I used Tumblr were to repost pictures. All in all the project was a good experience and gave me more exposure to the options the Internet has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment