Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Copado-Practicum Post #6




    Throughout the process of this practicum project, and with the completion of the final paper, I noticed that a lot of the class concepts can be applied not only to the forum I joined but to almost every single specialized page out today.  Not only that, but since the rise of Web 2.0, these specialized pages that we use as social media have expanded into mobilized media. 

    This came to mind when reflecting on the overall purpose of my subject, minority groups, and how this group uses the internet differently than the majority.   Based on my research, it makes sense that there is still a digital divide between the minority groups and majority.  Yet with the rise of mobile browsing, a much cheaper and accessible product, I can predict that the gap will be narrowed as years go by.  This is especially true since it is becoming more convenient for all to browse, email, IM, and even control your computerized products through your mobile device.  What will be factor will be what is next.

    With computer devices and the way to access the World Wide Web evolving each and every day, it will be interesting to see what type of device will be the one that separates the minority group from the majority. 
My experience with Brown Pride Forums was all positive.  I got to learn about the group I studied while being able learn about myself and how I use the internet differently (and similarly) than the group I studied.  At the beginning of the project, I felt as if I were a part of the average user (majority) because I own so many digital devices.  But while conversing with these individuals, I noticed that I may yet be behind this group as well. 

    I don’t know if I will continue to use this forum, unfortunately.  I enjoyed my time on it, yet I feel as if this were a place for people who mostly blog.  I, on the other hand, am one who enjoys micro blogging.  My time, especially as a full time student and full time employee, is precious so I enjoy getting in and out of social media sites quickly.  I do know that when I am homesick, or need a fix for some good Latin music, I will return to Brown Pride because I enjoyed my time there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment