Friday, May 4, 2012

Plzak Practicum Post 6

Before starting this project, I was really interested in trolling, and how people would troll support groups.  Honestly though, in all my time on www.supportgroup.com I never encountered any such negative messages.  However, since I was still interested I decided to do some research.  Here is what I found: Trolls post on these blogs and forums in order to get an emotional response from those in the group.  I read this article called Down's Syndrome Trolling: Charity Wants Positive Images.  Basically a family had to remove photos of their daughter from the Internet because her image was being used to insult herself and other people with Down's Syndrome.  The insults were abusive, and anonymous making punishment difficult if not impossible.  For this reason this organization wants to teach parents how to use various websites to monitor for trolling in order to prevent this from happening again...In my opinion this is why I haven't seen trolling on www.supportgroup.com..because the site has monitors.  I think that's extremely important, and extremely difficult, because the reason people use that site is to feel safe, open, and not judged.  It's sad that it isn't prevented everywhere though, especially when people's emotions and handicaps are the source of these cruel jokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment