Friday, May 4, 2012

Rifkin- Practicum #6

So maybe this would have been useful to know early on, but I only recently realized a definite theme with reddit and their use of acronyms. I was always curious how people used the same acronyms over and over, and I finally looked into it and found the meanings. Some of my favorites are:
AMA: Ask Me Anything
Molly Ringwald was actually on reddit answering questions. She added proof by uploading a picture of her holding a sign that her daughter had just made for her. This kind of thing happens a lot on reddit with famous people or notable people willing to answer any questions. It was really amazing to see someone famous so accessible and willing to reach out to her fans.
TIL: Today I Learned
This is one of my favorite phrases used because it is the most random and unpredictable post. I love learning random facts and people never disappoint with what they uncover in their day-to-day lives. I'm always curious though where they found their information.
IAmA: I am a ___________.
This is usually used in conjunction with AMA, but still it is different because it is more declarative. People usually pair this phrase with a thread to ask questions or simply a funny picture of them in their job or doing whatever it is they "are." This one is amazing for seeing people do jobs that I didn't even know existed. They are usually obscure, cool, weird and unusual jobs that create a lot of buzz and feedback on reddit.

These are just a few of many that keep the reddit community constantly flowing and updating daily. It took some time to get the hang of it, but now it is extremely easy and I see the patterns much more clearly. I have learned so much from these unique vehicles of sharing information in a way that makes people feel more comfortable. It is also great because it is completely voluntary and if someone posts it, then you know you can ask anything because they are willing to put themselves out there. Hopefully this helps for those of you who have taken reddit up yourselves. 

Til next time

No comments:

Post a Comment