Working on the Wikipedia page for Online Support Groups proved to be rather difficult...mostly because that page does not exist. For this reason I had to go to the Support Group Wikipedia page and find the section they had made for online support groups. As you can see above, the section was very brief-only three paragraphs long. For the most part these paragraphs discussed how the Internet made support groups easier because they offered both asynchronous vs synchronous messages, and that E-mail was helpful as well. What this post didn't talk about much was the way people used online support groups. So I decided I would expand on that. Here is what I wrote:
Many people who use online support groups are simply seeking informational support. Others are looking for a means to feel like they are not alone. For this reason, 45% of people who use online support groups are lurkers, or people who read messages without posting their own comments. People who were most likely to post were those who were looking for empathy and emotional support.
I have attached a snap shot below...This was my first time ever writing on it (Long time listener, first time caller) so let's hope what I wrote will actually stick!
No comments:
Post a Comment