For
this technopanic assignment, I decided to go against my better judgment and go
back to check on the good old world of MySpace.
It has been a good four years since I last logged on, so I was surprised
to see that I still remembered my old login information.
Let me begin by noting that I
thought I had been directed to a website like TMZ or Entertainment
Television. The layout of MySpace now resembles
that of those types of websites and the top of the page was headlined by the
Grammy’s, a Whitney Houston tribute, and a link to share your MySpace music
page to your friends over on Facebook.
After further research of the website, I came to find out that MySpace
is indeed now used as a social entertainment website that is pretty much
dedicated to music lovers and entertainment news. It had me wondering what happened to them
being a social network.
Something
I found interesting was that the website now has a way to connect via Facebook
and Twitter. The one person that had
been posting on my feed was linked to Twitter, so everything she tweeted came
up on MySpace. It leads me to feel like MySpace
is now like a third party except on its own website. I was first confused on how to actually search
for people. I remember that back in the
day all you had to do was press a button and then it automatically took you to
a page with thousands of profiles to browse.
Now it’s more like click here, then you have to look around for the
browse button. When I finally was able
to browse, it took me straight to looking for females, ages 18 through 35. I know what you’re thinking, just what I was
looking for right? Well if I was a
creeper yeah.
For the
most part, the profiles that came up were young women who definitely are asking
for attention. It’s not like Facebook
where you see pictures of people with friends or sporting some sort of college
gear on game days. Most of the profiles
I tried to browse were set to private, but the ones I did get to look into were
your typical MySpace page, filled with graphics, glitter, and some sort of
music bar.
Overall,
I wasn’t very impressed with MySpace. It
seems like it’s creeper central and only really young or really old people were
online.
No wonder I left it for
Facebook!

No comments:
Post a Comment