For my topic on Media Sharing Services, I chose to focus on Vimeo. I joined Vimeo in April of 2010, thinking I'd use it to share my many short videos I've made for classes in Comm Arts and in the Art department over the years. I'd used YouTube before, but I thought that having a Vimeo would elevate me out of the masses and make my work look just a little more professional. Ideally, my Vimeo page could be a quick go-to for an employer to see my portfolio of video work. I didn't end up using that Vimeo account, though, because the pressure of my work to be seen online was too much and I was never satisfied with any project enough to commit it to the pixellated screen. Editing is an endless process and my videos never seemed quite done enough to be uploaded.
I picked Vimeo for the project to force myself to put together a site that I could show as portfolio or as a reel now that I'm graduating and I have a collection of rough pieces piled up. However, this hasn't exactly worked as I'd expected, since I discovered that most of my pieces are way too big to be uploaded - they are several GB and the free version of Vimeo I have only allows for 500MB per video. So I've released the idea of making this page a showpiece and just uploaded my three smallest projects, although they aren't my best and they're not quite finished. This may be ok, though, as I realized that video professionals don't use Vimeo, and if you want to look really professional, you should have your own website. So Vimeo is just a platform for sharing any kind of video, not just polished ones. After I set up my account fully, I searched for friends to add as contacts and known filmmakers to subscribe to. I noticed that my friends tended to have a handful of presentable pieces, where the known filmmakers didn't have much at all. At most, some had samples of their work. For example, Barbara Hammer, a famous octogenarian filmmaker from the 1970s uses her Vimeo to share samples of her most famous films. She also uses the social media aspect of it a lot, commenting on friend's and collaborator's pieces. Although she is pretty old, she actually has the most active Vimeo account I've seen so far. After I'd seen hers and my friend's accounts, I decided the pressure to put up presentable videos was off, and that you could really use Vimeo in any way you wanted to.Here's my Vimeo account.
No comments:
Post a Comment