Monday, April 23, 2012

Goodman: Practicum Post #4

This was probably one of my favorite moments ever with Twitter. 

One day during the week, I got caught up procrastinating and spending my time on Grantland.com, a sports and pop culture blog ran by one of my favorite sports journalists, Bill Simmons. Since I've grown to appreciate Bill's work, I began to follow him on twitter @sportsguy33. He tweets sports related commentary and insight that I would not get from anyone else in the industry.

After reading one of his articles on the NBA players with the highest trade value that came out right before the trade deadline, I noticed something he wrote that I thought was factually incorrect. So, my first reaction was to tweet my thoughts right back at him:

I didn't expect anything back, the guy has over a million followers. I really just did it to voice my opinion to my followers who know about his stuff. People tweet at him all the time, most of it is probably nonsense. How would he ever see my one little thought that went against his all-powerful article? Not a chance, right?

Wrong.

Within about 15 minutes of my tweet I see that Bill Simmons is following me. After about a ten minute heart attack/nerdy freakout session, I still couldn't believe my eyes.


There he was, on my list of followers. Sadly, this fame only lasted about a day. He clearly doesn't care about what a undergrad college student has to say on the regular. But, this follow spoke volumes to me for the short time period. To me, it was his way of saying "Hey kid, you made a good point, but I can't let my whole fanbase know I didn't think about this. So I'll just follow you for a day to let you know you won this battle."

And now that I look back on it, it's a pretty great feeling to know I briefly 'outsmarted' the Sports Guy.

@Whatsgoodman: 1- @Sportsguy33: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment