Creating A Character
To create a character you need to send in a request for
character creation. I had to wait a few
days before I received a pre-made character name. This name was just some random number
combination along with a randomized password to work as place holder.
Logging into LambdaMoo I signed into my pre-made character. I typed in connect: New-Player-34853 and then my randomized password. I actually took me a bit to figure out how to log in because when I was typing my password the traditional ****** did not appear when I typed a character. Instead my icon remained in place. This is just one of many examples of how interfaces have evolved in games since the simple beginnings of MOOs/MUDs.
Right now my character “New-Player-34853” is genderless, has
no personality and no physical features.
In order to play this game I am going to need to change that. LambdaMoo is set up to help newbie players
along the way with an extensive “help” menu.
I type in “Help Players” and get the following list that allows me to
customize different aspects of my character.
The first thing I did was set up a new password. Then I chose my gender. Even though genders had wide spectrum of
options (neuter, male, female, either, Spivak, splat, plural, egotistical,
royal, or 2nd) I chose just to be a female. I tried to name myself Emma (Because I am oh
so clever) but someone already had that name so I was not able to use it. Then I tried to name myself Gretchen because
that is the name of my car, but that was taken as well. I decided for my third name that I would just
make up some random name, because I have noticed that players do that often in
the game. I chose to name myself Emmolia
(Emma + Molinare = Emmolia, because again, I’m clever.)
I chose to describe myself as the following “A young woman
around 20 years old with medium length brown hair and light brown eyes. She is a quiet woman who is often seen by
herself silently observing rather than intervening. She is unknown in this community, so no one
yet knows what is truly lying beneath the surface.” That way I could allow
myself to develop the character to develop with time and didn’t have to commit
to a drastic character trait.
Now that my character is set I can begin introducing her
into the world of LambdaMoo.

No comments:
Post a Comment