Monday, April 23, 2012

Morris Practicum #3

When logging into my Tumblr today I noticed changes existing in the dashboard. The design of the icons had been updated and they appear more modernized now, after researching this change further I discovered the main point of these changes is to allow for people with multiple Tumblrs to manage their accounts easier. These design changes have received mixed reactions (this reminds me of my own displeasure with changes that have occurred on face book throughout time). The general public will not be able to stop these changes most likely, I also believe there must be a reason for the sites designers to make these changes. In this case the changes allow for easier use of the blog. I have included a picture of the old and new dashboard so you guys can get a visual idea of how small these changes are.

 Old design

 New Design

Tumblr’s lead designer Peter Vidani tweeted that he was “positively thrilled to launch the new Tumblr dashboard,” but not all users agree. Hopefully in time all Tumblr users will come to see these new changes in a positive light.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I think the changes in Tumblr relate to many websites people use frequently, such as Facebook, Twitter or even Pinterest! As you said, people are most likely unable to stop or alter the website's aesthetic and functional changes. I think it's interesting that we can see websites evolving even as we use them, and that more time than not, users are not supportive of the changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely agree with Anna. Changes like these happen all the time on different social media platforms that we regularly use. People say things like "oh I'll never use this site again because of this change," but I've never seen anyone really do so. For the most part, I've never disagreed with any major changes of a social media site. As a user, all you can really do is keep your mouth shut and adapt. Has anyone actually ever left a social media site because of a layout change?

    ReplyDelete