Friday, April 13, 2012

Rifkin- Practicum #2

I have continued using the Social News websites: reddit, Digg, and Delicious. To give a preview of how the sites are set up:

The following is reddit:


The front page is a kind of internet newsfeed. Famous websites such as meme or "#whatshouldwecallme," or even still shots of Facebook can regularly be found on this internet hodgepodge. Anyone can post a link and it is up to the viewers to vote it up, down, or neither on the website. If enough people click a link up, then it will go to the top of the website, so it is implied that the higher things up, the more popular they have been. My favorite "feature" so to speak on reddit is when people ask very personal, specific, and ridiculous "what if" questions or "what should i do?" because you really can't imagine the kinds of scenarios people choose to ask about. In my presentation, I will show just how varied and eccentric the posts can be.

The next site I will preview is called Digg:


Digg is a little different than reddit because it focuses solely on news articles, but it is the same concept of a news feed that is based on the feedback of its viewers. There is a like or dislike button for each news story and, again, it will move up and down depending on popularity. If you already know a certain genre you would like to see rather than every genre, you can click a theme of articles and be directed to a new newsfeed specific to whichever you choose. For some reason Digg has provided me with a lot of "followers." I'm still not sure exactly what they are following, but I am determined to find out what.

In the beginning I also looked at the Social News site Delicious, but since have chosen to focus solely on reddit and Digg because Delicious reminded me of Stumbleupon and was extremely different from the other two. I think reddit is great for more pop-culture aspects while Digg serves as a slightly more legitimate news source and Delicious is in a category of its own.

Til next time

No comments:

Post a Comment