Monday, April 16, 2012

Wanland: You Tube vs Hulu


For this week’s blog assignment, I chose to watch a video clip of Jersey Shore on Youtube and an episode of Jersey Shore on Hulu. After watching these two videos, I have found there are two major differences between You Tube and Hulu in the length of videos found on each site and the content offered to consumers.  Firstly, I found that the typical videos posted on You Tube are short clips from various episodes.  For example, when I typed in “Jersey Shore” in the search engine box on You Tube, videos of “Jersey Shore’s Best Moments-From Laughs to Fights” and “Jersey Shore Girls Know or Go” appeared. The length of videos pertaining to Jersey Shore offered to consumers was approximately 30 seconds to 5 minutes long.  In contrast, Hulu focused on showing long videos that were actual 30-40 minute long episodes from Jersey Shore. 

The second major difference I found between You Tube and Hulu was that You Tube gives users the able to contribute and post videos on the site, while in contrast, Hulu provides TV shows and movies created by producers of the show/movie to consumers.  For example, on You Tube after I searched “Jersey Shore”, clips of girls who were pretending to be the main characters from Jersey Shore appeared.  I also had the option to watch a video of a young boy who was getting his hair cut at a barber shop to resemble Pauly D’s hair. This exemplifies that the videos on You Tube are user-generated opposed to actual episodes or movies posted on Hulu.    

No comments:

Post a Comment