I've been a regular user of YouTube for a long time and tend to prefer it over Hulu because of the diversity of content, general lack of advertisements (though they've been increasing in recent years), and seemingly faster upload time. This assignment marked my first encounter with Hulu in probably about a year, and I still tend to prefer YouTube.
In the brief clips I watched on YouTube (a recap of the Penguins-Flyers game) and Hulu (an Saturday Night Live short), both surprisingly lacked advertisements. YouTube sometimes makes you sit through a 0:15-0:30 ad for videos, but this particular video didn't force me to. Hulu had a short ad at the beginning of the clip saying "this video brought to you by advertiser x", but it wasn't a full commercial or anything. I think if you would click around on more videos on both websites, you'd eventually start to receive ads, however.
The video quality of Hulu was definitely nicer, having a crisper picture and larger screen. Since the YouTube video seemed to come from a professional account, the image quality wasn't as bad as some YouTube videos tend to be, but was nonetheless less clear than Hulu's picture. By and large, Hulu has better quality and sharper videos, but for me, the wealth of videos on YouTube is simply too much to ignore. For that reason, I'll probably be sticking with YouTube because of its greater broadness of content.
No comments:
Post a Comment