Yelp and Facebook
Like everything these days, connecting to Facebook seems to be an automatic. Sometimes, even, sites don't ask if you want to connect to Facebook but all of a sudden your most recent Words with Friends score is posted on your timeline and you have yet to click a button. I was surprised through my interactions with Yelp that "connect to facebook" was not as advertised as it is on other sites. I questioned whether I personally wanted to connect the two sites. Did it mean that if I looked up what hair salon was best or that I was in the market for a dentist would be posted to my facebook and all of the world to then see? It reminded me of the Google Paris video we watched in class. All the things I typed into yelp then relayed to my facebook and people could pretty much figure out where I lived, what kind of food I liked, if I needed a hair cut etc. So I opted out. It was interesting for me to see how Yelp had developed itself to make greater and more personal interaction on the site feel natural. One day its reviews, the next day its a site to meet and speak with people all over the world, who can tell you about their latest date night and their take on the waiter! While the site definitely has its benefits and I enjoy using it, combining it with other social media sites seems just another way the internet seems to be encroaching on our personal lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment